Iodine Tips: Know Rich Food Sources of Iodine

By on 1:43 AM
Iodine Tips: Know Rich Food Sources of Iodine
Iodine is essential for the survival of the various functions and processes of the body.

Iodine is needed by the thyroid gland to function properly.

Iodine plays a role to ensure proper growth in children and maintain healthy nails, hair, and skin.

Among the various sources of iodine, which is most easily obtained source is iodized salt.

However, if for some reason you can not eat salt, there are a variety of foods that contain iodine.

Here is a list of some foods that contain iodine.

Food Sources of Iodine

1) For Non-vegetarians:

- Salmon

- Tuna

- Shells

- Cod

- Herring

- Iodized salt

2) To Vegetarian:

- Kelp

- Seaweed

- Milk and dairy products

- Iodized salt

Many people think of high-salt foods such as chips, cookies, etc. are sources of iodine because it contains salt.

The reality is not like that. Although these products high in salt, but generally do not contain iodized salt.

Iodine supplements

Aside from food, other sources of iodine can be obtained through supplements. Most supplements contain very low doses of iodine so that you do not have to worry about overdose.

The iodine dose is recommended

Recommended dose of iodine is 150 mcg per day for healthy adults.

But even five to six times the recommended daily dose generally will not cause harmful.

Considered overdose is when a person consumes up to 25-30 times the recommended dose.

Excess iodine can cause health problems including headaches, rashes, enlarged salivary glands, nausea, and vomiting.

Iodine Tips

1. Iodine supplements should not be taken by pregnant women.

2. One teaspoon of iodized salt contains 300 mcg of iodine or twice the recommended dose.

3. Salty foods and snacks is not a source of iodine. The product does not contain iodine and can be harmful to health because of its high sodium content.

4. Although iodine helps prevent thyroid disorders, thyroid disorders can not be cured simply by eating iodine. In situations like this, the best step is to consult with a doctor.